The mind is the most amazing thing.
A few weeks ago, I realized that I wasn’t being as proactive about my health as I could be. I cleaned up my diet – stopped eating chocolate – and focused on eating only when physically hungry, eating only what I felt would nourish me in the moment and stopping when I was more than half full. This is my version of mindful eating.
After three days of focusing in this way, listening to the signals from my mind, emotions and body, I felt more energized and whenever I saw myself in the mirror, I thought I looked great.
I realized that I looked no different to how I did three days before but my mind convinced me, because I was focusing on health and vitality, that I looked a lot healthier and even more beautiful.
‘The mind lies, the body never does. That’s why God put the clues in the body.’ John Demartini
This perception that I had of my appearance when the only thing that had changed was my mindset, reaffirmed the amazing power of perception to me. I decided to take the health quiz that I give participants in my Whole Health Habits Workshop to see where else I may have been ‘lying’ to myself.
Here’s the quiz. Why don’t you see how well you do?
Remember this isn’t designed to shame you. It’s designed to give you realistic feedback on the habits that you have that contribute to health. It will help you recognize which areas you need to focus on. Nothing more than that.
How Healthy is Your Life Style?
- How many portions of vegetables do you eat daily (1 portion = ½ cup of chunky veg such as broccoli and 1 cup of leafy veg such as spinach)?
|< Three portions daily||0||Three to five portions daily||1||Five to Seven portions daily||2|
- How many portions of fruit do you eat daily? (1 portion is a small banana, medium sized apple, a medium slice of melon etc. Remember that avocado and tomatoes are fruits.
|No portions daily/ more than two portions daily||0||1 Portion Daily||1||Two portions daily||2|
- Do you eat organic vegetables and fruit at least four times a week?
- How much water do you drink in a day?
|< ½ a liter||0||At least 1 liter||1||Two liters of more||2|
- What type of water do you drink?
|Tap water||0||Filtered water – carbon filter||1||Carbon filtered rain water or reverse osmosis filtered water||2|
- Do you exercise regularly?
|No||0||At least 2x/week||1||At least 4x a week||2|
- How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
|5 hours or less||0||Six hours||1||Seven to eight hours||2|
- Do you feel refreshed in the morning once you’re up?
|No||0||I’m okay once I get going||1||I mostly feel ready to tackle my day||2|
- Do you spend any time on your cell phone, iPad, computer or watching TV before going to bed at night?
|Yes, usually until it’s time to go to sleep||0||Yes but I stop half an hour before bedtime||1||Yes but I stop 1 hour before bedtime/no I don’t use any of those in the evening.||2|
- Do you feel that your home is a restful space that allows you to recharge?
|No||0||It’s mostly restful||1||It’s restful and recharging.||2|
- Do you spend any time outside during the day?
|No||0||At least one hour||1||Two hours or more||2|
- Do you wear conventional sunscreen when outside?
|Yes||0||Yes but I use natural sunscreen||1||I don’t use sunscreen generally||2|
- Do you use organic or products containing only natural ingredients on your skin and hair?
- Do you use make up daily (at least five days out of seven)?
|Yes – conventional brands||0||Yes but only natural mineral make up||1||No||2|
- What type of deodorant do you use?
|Anti-Perspirant||0||Conventional deodorant but not anti perspirant||1||Natural deodorant with no synthetic ingredients||2|
- Do you use conventional toothpaste or natural toothpaste that contains fluoride?
|Conventional toothpaste||0||Natural toothpaste-flouride enriched||1||Natural toothpaste-flouride free||2|
- What type of cleaning products do you use in your home?
|Conventional||0||Some natural and some conventional||1||All natural||2|
- Do you read every day?
|No||0||At least 30 minutes per day||1||More than 30 minutes per day.||2|
- Do you meditate/pray/ spend time in quiet contemplation daily?
|No||0||At least ten minutes daily||1||More than 10 minutes daily||2|
- How would you classify your closest relationships?
|Strained||0||Close but could be better||1||Very close||2|
- How supported do you feel by those you love?
|Not supported||0||Fairly supported||1||Very well supported||2|
- How do you find your job?
|Pays the bills but I largely hate it||0||It’s not too bad||1||I mostly love it||2|
- Do you have one/a few close friends?
|No||0||I have at least one||1||I have more than two||2|
- Do you feel that your life matters?
- Do you have dreams and goals?
|Not really||0||One or two||1||I’ve still got a lot to see and do!||2|
Now add up your score:
< 25 – Your lifestyle needs work – you’re possible retoxifcying faster than you can detoxify.
25-30 – You’re doing pretty well but there’s some room for improvement.
30-35 – Your lifestyle mostly supports health.
>35 – You’re doing very well in supporting a healthy lifestyle
If you scored 30 or less and want to make lasting changes to your health, sign up for the Whole Health Habits Workshop today!
Click here to register for the Whole Health Habits Workshop